Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

If Spring Ain't Broke, Don't Try to Fix It

It is a strange feeling to be running out of children.

In the harried, hairy, hair-raising middle of raising five children, sometimes the days seemed longer than the years, and the years of mothering stretched down the highway into infinity with no bathroom breaks.

Now, in a blink, it is almost over.  Our fifth child is in the last few months of her senior year, ready to go to college (BYU Idaho), determined to go on a mission (only the Lord knows where) and suddenly each day is gone in a blink and I can see an end to what seemed like endless years of everyday mothering.

Which is how I convinced my husband that we needed to have a fun fling during our last spring break this year.  Work kept him from leaving for the whole week so Corinn and I bit our lips and soldiered on without him.  GIRL TRIP!!!

















We hopped a boat in Long Beach for a trip that you could probably paddle in a canoe, but that stretches out for 4 days by putting along at 1.2 nautical miles per hour.  But then, who cares when you're not driving and cheesecake is available 24 hours a day.

 Catalina Island was foggy and mysterious.  
The spirit of Marilyn Monroe lives on here.  
Especially on coffee mugs.


 












My little mermaid grew legs on the rocky shore





The flora was succulent, the fauna  was mostly noisy sea lions







 
About 30 minutes out of Ensenada, Mexico is a zip line at a place called La Canada.  Surprisingly, no one spoke Canadian, but everyone was fluent in Spanish.  I became bilingual as I yelled "Aye yi yi yi when I was shoved off a towering platform to zoom over a lake protected only by a diaper made of straps and a fisher price helmet
This is not me.  I refused to be filmed in case I peed my pants.

The series of zip lines actually turned out to be quite fun, but nobody told me that this course involved five, count em, FIVE swaying, crazy trembly suspension bridges that left my mouth dry and my stomach clenched.  I only traversed them because I did not want my daughter to see me trudging  the dusty "walk of shame" through the ravine while she agilely crossed above me.

I want my daughter to to leave home 
believing that she has a brave mom.


No comments: