Pages

Friday, September 25, 2009

Diagnosis: Delirium

I just had a really scary medical-type episode. I was talking to my friend Jill, who is a counselor. I mean she is the real deal, with a lanyard around her neck and a laminated card with her picture on it and everything. She is totally certified to listen to all your problems and nod wisely. Now, I grew up with Jill and we have been PFF’s since third grade. (PFF stands for “preeminent friends forever” in case you’re not into texting).

Jill in her more innocent, pre-counseling days
 

Jill informed me of something scary, (excuse me whilst I blow my nose discreetly).  I told her about this latest project of mine; i.e. the blog you are reading with such delight at this very moment. She said that blogging is a symptom!


Now I really hate symptoms because if you have one it means that something is going crazy haywire somewhere in your inward innards where you can’t see, even with a magnifying mirror angled just so. A symptom is dire.


Jill: Blogging...(dramatic pause) is a diagnosable symptom.


Me: (Swallowing noisily, slugging down some diet coke) Am I going to die?


Jill: No, it just means you are exhibiting behaviors that would lead to a diagnosis.


Me: Oh, whew. A diagnosis isn’t so bad.


Because we are PFFs, she didn’t tell me what the diagnosis is, and frankly, I don’t want to know because I am only half way down my bucket list and it is a really deep bucket.

3 comments:

R A C H A E L said...

At times I base my self worth of the number of comments I recieve, is that bad?

larainydays said...

yes, but I too am a frail member of the human family

Anonymous said...

well we can all wallow in our sickness together.