Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

For Whom The Cow Bell Tolls


Not to brag, but I have known the 
Mountain View Toro Marching Band cowbell ringer since she was born.  
Karen has been friends with my daughter, Corinn since diaper days, 
even though both are too proud to admit that they ever wore diapers.

Karen left, Corinn right
They share a lifelong proclivity for battered tennis shoes, 
 battered legs and a disdain of "fake babies" (dolls)

Karen has just finished a fabulous football season as cowbell ringer.  
She consented to an interview.
Me:  Karen, I know you have played a lot of music over the years, 10 years of piano, 2 on the clarinet, and 5 long years on the oboe.  How long have you been playing the cowbell?


Karen:  One glorius year.


Me:  This is a silly question, but what is your favorite instrument?


Karen:  Duh, the cowbell.


Me:  Is it true that the only reason you remained in marching band with its grueling early morning schedule was the cowbell?


Karen:  Yeah, and maybe the band trip to Hawaii was a small motivation.


Me:  What is your training regimen, is performing on the cowbell physically demanding?


Karen:  It is.  It takes a boatload of wrist strength and I do lots of squats to warm up before games.


Me:  How many hours of practice do you put in?


Karen:  Cowbell is strictly on the job.  Without the energy of the crowd going wild, there is really no point.


Me:  Has it changed your life?  


Karen:  Oh definitely.  My reputation has really grown.  I get a lot of respect on campus.  There is a senior I am in competition with for cowbell time, but the crowd likes me waaaay better.


Me:  How do you care for your cowbell?  Does it have a velvet lined case?  Is it returned to ol' Bossy between performances?


Karen:  Naaaa, I just throw it in the cabinet.  It's not even locked.

Me:  How far do you think the cowbell is going to take you?

Karen:  I've got the counselors searching for scholarships.  I'm going to ride the cowbell wave as far as it will take me.


Me:  I know that your mother, Carol, has required each of her children to play certain instruments.  Will you require your future children to play the cowbell.


Karen:  Of course.  Actually, when they see videos of my performances they're going to beg to play the cowbell.







17 comments:

just call me jo said...

You know I love a good cowbell. That interview was riveting. Is there a full-ride scholarship offered for cowbell excellence. I'll bet there is. Especially at the Y! hahaha!! Snort! Clatter, clang...

MTeacress said...

We have a goat bell. Could we play back up? *kidding of course, since nothing can get on stage at the same time as a cowbell, right?*

Unknown said...

Go Karen! She is rocking that cowbell like there is no tomorrow.

this was very insightful.

Diane Arnett Gardiner said...

I adore those skinny bruised knees in the first photo! Let Karen know I could get in touch with some music contacts for her...that is a remarkable talent, the cow bell, that is.

Connie said...

That girl is going far in life. I can see her now as a cattle baroness already. You go girl!!!

Anna said...

Who knew my sister would grow up to be a renowned cowbell-er? Bet my mom didn't.

It is unfortunate though that she had to use a cowbell to compete with my popularity status. Glad she found something that would bring her more friends than just Corinn and Lizzy.

Anna said...

Who knew my sister would grow up to be a renowned cowbell-er? Bet my mom didn't.

It is unfortunate though that she had to use a cowbell to compete with my popularity status. Glad she found something that would bring her more friends than just Corinn and Lizzy.

Susan Anderson said...

Oh, that I were a cowbell aficionado like Karen!

=)

PS. We do have one thing in common, at least. I never liked fake babies either...

Carol T. said...

When the zealous crowd yells her name and wildly cheers, it brings tears of pride to to this mother's eyes. Way to go my girl! All of the other music lessons must have been for naught.

Grammy Goodwill said...

hahaha - Oh, how I love this post.

jen said...

I'm having a Will Farrel/Christopher Walken flash. Wish I'd seen it in person.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

More cowbell! She must be the most popular girl on campus!

Pondside said...

I think it's important to shine a light on artists and their work. I am anxious to get to the library to read more on cowbell ringers through history.

Laurel said...

Cutest two little girl friends EVER! They are also real beauties today! Karen's talents run deep!

karen said...

More cowbell! I do love me a fake baby though. I don't get why Sue doesn't...

Bishop E. said...

Karen, we have a ward conference coming up. Would you consider a musical number? I think I can get an exception to the "no cowbells in the chapel" rule from the Handbook.

Anne said...

Okay, awesome post, awesome comments, awesome pictures. Love it!