Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Eyjafjallajökull By Any Other Name Would Still Be One Heck of a Volcano

Jaagup Auchinleck, an impeccably dressed, well educated, thoroughly traveled businessman picks up the red phone and dials heaven


Heaven: Greetings


Jaagup: Uh, hello, so apparently English is the official language in heaven?


Heaven: Oh heavens no, but we can communicate in any language. How may I direct your call?


Jaagup: I’m calling about the volcano in Iceland.


Heaven: Eyjafjallajökull?


Jaagup: God bless you.


Heaven: He always does. No, are we talking about Eyjafjallajökull?


Jaagup: Er, yes…that one




Heaven: One moment please while I transfer you


Jaagup listens to heavenly hold music that sounds suspiciously like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir


HVD: Heavenly Volcanic Department, Cyrus speaking. How are you doing this fine morning Jaagup?


Jaagup: To speak frankly, not well.


HVD: I’m so sorry to hear that, having digestive trouble again?


Jaagup: What? How did you…?    Ahem, no. I am contacting you as the designated representative of the Euro/American Travel and Business Underwriters Group, or EATABUG and we have a complaint.


HVD: Most people on earth do seem to have complaints.


Jaagup: I have some bullet points.


HVD: Oh, we call those points of illumination up here.


Jaagup: Uh, yes, well. I’ll just enumerate the uh, points of illumination for you then.


WHEREAS:


• Busy people are wasting time in English airports and they are sick of kidney pie and bangers


• Rich people are becoming less rich because they can’t do business as usual


• Vacationers have been prevented from vacationing and tourism is in the toilet


• The sky is full of billowing black clouds that violate the Kyoto treaty


• Earth’s residents turning off lights to combat global warming and you guys up here are heating up the world with the flip of one volcanic switch


• Enough is enough




THEREFORE:


We, the dues paying members of the Euro/American Travel and Business Underwriters Group, do hereby demand that Heaven does cease and desist from the continued destructive activity caused by the volcano in Iceland.


HVD: Oh, you demand, do you?


Jaagup: Yes. This situation is untenable.


HVD: May I ask you; what have you learned from this experience?


Jaagup: That this destructive activity has got to stop.


HVD: Anything else?


Jaagup: That we are getting really mad about it.


HVD: Well Jaagup, We here in the Heavenly Volcanic Department really appreciate your input. May I suggest you report back to the Euro/American Travel and Business Underwriters Group that Heaven intends to take this valuable information under advisement.


Jaagup: Thank you. So can we expect a cessation of all volcanic activity?


HVD: I can promise you that all you people on earth will get exactly what you need.


Jaagup: But does that mean…


Click

Jaagup:  Obviously, I'm going to get a promotion out of this deal.
 

3 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Ah. Humorous AND meaningful...my favorite.

(And exactly why I am very careful what I ask for when looking heavenward.)

Good one, as always...

=)

Unknown said...

Thanks for following me. I loved your excerpt.

Unknown said...

Helena Handbasket, my friend, tells me it's the end of the world as we know it. (and I feel fine)