Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Nixon and Lizzie: An Uncivil Union


In December of 2004 we caved in to the incessant torture that only five dog-starved children can administer and bought a cute little mostly-Beagle
which we named Nixon (after the watch, not the President.)

Soon our good friends gave in to similar excruciating juvenile pressure and bought a Beagle of their own which they named Lizzie (after the Queen, not the axe murderer.)
Immediately, every activity included Nixon and Lizzie.  They attended puppy training classes at Petco where they disgraced themselves week after week, and gnawed paths of destruction wherever they went.  They were thrown together every day by their enthusiastic mentors and loved each other with a love as white hot as hate.
They were illegally joined in canine matrimony one fine spring day in a ceremony performed by a 9 year old girl wearing a long black wig, robe and sunglasses.  Frank Sinatra was singing Fly Me to the Moon and someone brought a cake that said "Congratulations Nixon and Lizzie Dog".  The brief honeymoon was spent in a wading pool and then the young neutered lovers went their usual separate ways.

Nixon tried his best over the years to  wear the fur pants in the family but never could tame his sassy tri-color mate.  

And then, suddenly it was over.  Lizzie, with her purebred sensibilities, was always more delicate than her hardy mate, and she gradually she lost her sight, her smell...everything but a mournful howl when the piano was played.  

When Nixon heard the news he went through the usual stages of grief, beginning with anger, manifested in the death of a grackle who mocked his pain.  
The last stage, of grief is acceptance, but Nixon will never get there.  Every time he hears the back gate open, or hears a howl from a neighboring yard his hopeful tail wags and he waits for Lizzie to appear.



Larainy Days is proud to be featured this week on
Pocket Change
as  "Best of the Web"

16 comments:

just call me jo said...

Well, obviously the neighbors need to get another beagle. Perhaps an older lady who is rescued from assisted living or rest home status. I love the picture of Nixon and the grackle. I'd forgotten that until you mentioned it at lunch. You are indeed the best of the web. I hope you will consider my suggestion. Take Nixon to a doggie park. He needs friends.

Susan Anderson said...

What a cute story! And you deserve the blog fame. As I've said before, you have the funniest blog out there...

=)

Holly said...

Such a sad story so close to Valentines Day. Just what do you plan to do about this? Obviously, something must be done. Want a cat?

Holly said...

I can't find you on those links. I have no doubt you are there but not sure where. Are you under the header "Best Style Blogs" or "Best Underwear to get you through the day"?

Grammy Goodwill said...

This made me cry. (But in a good way, I guess.)

Unknown said...

I can't bear that Nixon is lonely...better get another dog!

RoeH said...

Ahhhh.....I'm so sorry about both of them. And Nixon? Dating sites are out there now. Get busy with th single seniors of dog land. I would bet there's a rich one just waiting for you. Never worked for me but hey. I'm not a dog. And congats on the shout out. But I'm jealous now. Heck who could ever find me. I change blogs too much. :(

Carol T. said...

Nixon and Lizzy were true loves to the end. Even during their extended absences from each other, the mention of Nixon's name would perk Lizzy's ears and anticipation showed in her bolt for the open door.

Connie said...

What a sweet doggie tale. I love beagles. Yes I would say Nixon needs a puppy to mentor.

CB said...

It's the dog version of Romeo and Juliet - star crossed puppies!

Poor Nixon. Will he ever love again?

Pat MacKenzie said...

What a sweet sad story. Proof that animals have human feelings. They just express them differently. So nice they were able to be married.

I'm here till the 23rd if you and the other three are willing and able to do lunch again.

Red Nomad OZ said...

Hahaha! That's hilarious!! SO nice to see a non-schmaltz 'love' story this close to Valentine's Day!!

Have a great weekend (what's left of it ...)

Dr Zibbs said...

Sad. My dog Bingo (lab) was put down last year. I dug the hole in my back yard as he was wrapped in a blanket. Still miss him.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

True puppy love! A timely tale for the big V-Day.

karen said...

Poor Nixon... a pining heart is a terrible thing.

MTeacress said...

Poor boy. I remember my dog howling when he lost a friend.